The recent re-election of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has garnered international attention, with leaders from around the world extending their congratulations to Erdogan on his victory. In this article, we will examine the statements made by prominent global figures, including US President Joe Biden, Russian President Vladimir Putin, President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, French President Emmanuel Macron, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz. These messages not only acknowledge Erdogan’s success but also highlight the significance of continued cooperation and the strengthening of relationships between Turkey and other nations.
- Joe Biden: US President Joe Biden expressed his optimism about working with President Erdogan on shared global challenges, emphasizing the longstanding NATO alliance. Biden tweeted, “I look forward to continuing to work together as NATO allies on bilateral issues and shared global challenges.” While not explicitly addressing recent tensions in the bilateral relationship, his message underscores the importance of collaboration between the two nations.
- Vladimir Putin: Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has maintained a close collaboration with Erdogan on key international issues despite occasional disagreements, congratulated Erdogan on his victory, acknowledging it as the result of Erdogan’s dedicated work. Putin’s message highlighted Turkey’s support for an independent foreign policy, stating, “Your victory in these elections is the logical result of your dedicated work as head of the Turkish Republic, a clear evidence of the Turkish people’s support for your efforts to strengthen state sovereignty and pursue an independent foreign policy.” This recognition showcases the bilateral relationship between Russia and Turkey.
- Ursula von der Leyen: As President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen conveyed her congratulations to President Erdogan and expressed the European Union’s (EU) commitment to strengthening ties with Turkey. She stated on Twitter, “I congratulate [Erdogan] on winning the elections. I look forward to continue building the EU-Turkey relationship. It is of strategic importance for both the EU and Turkey to work on advancing this relationship, for the benefit of our people.” Von der Leyen’s message reflects the EU’s interest in fostering closer cooperation and acknowledging Turkey’s significance as a potential member of the EU.
- Jens Stoltenberg: Jens Stoltenberg, the Secretary General of NATO, congratulated President Erdogan and highlighted the importance of continued collaboration between Turkey and the alliance. Stoltenberg tweeted, “Congratulations President [Erdogan] on your re-election. I look forward to continuing our work together and preparing for the NATO Summit in July.” This statement reaffirms the enduring partnership between NATO and Turkey, emphasizing their shared objectives and ongoing cooperation.
- Antonio Guterres: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres extended his congratulations to Erdogan on his re-election, expressing a commitment to strengthening cooperation between Turkey and the United Nations. In a statement, Guterres’ spokesperson said, “He [Guterres] looks forward to further strengthening the cooperation between Turkey and the United Nations.” This message highlights the UN’s interest in deepening ties with Turkey and collaborating on various global issues.
- Emmanuel Macron: French President Emmanuel Macron acknowledged the immense challenges that both France and Turkey face, and emphasized the importance of working together to address them. Macron’s tweet stated, “With President Erdogan, who I congratulate, we will continue to move forward.” His message indicates a willingness to maintain dialogue and cooperation with Turkey, particularly regarding peace in Europe.
- Volodymyr Zelensky: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky congratulated President Erdogan on his victory and expressed a desire to strengthen the strategic partnership between their countries. Zelensky’s tweet conveyed, “We count on the further strengthening of the strategic partnership for the good of our countries, as well as the strengthening of cooperation for the security and stability of Europe.” This sentiment underscores the importance of collaboration between Turkey and Ukraine, particularly in the context of regional security.
- Olaf Scholz: German Chancellor Olaf Scholz hailed Turkey and Germany as close partners and allies, emphasizing their interconnectedness in terms of people and economies. Scholz’s tweet congratulated President Erdogan and expressed a desire to advance their shared agenda with renewed energy: “Congratulations to President Erdogan, together we want to advance our common agenda with a fresh impetus.” This statement highlights the bilateral relationship between Turkey and Germany and their commitment to working together on various fronts.
The congratulatory messages from international leaders to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on his re-election underscore the significance of continued cooperation and the strengthening of relationships between Turkey and other nations. These statements emphasize shared global challenges, the importance of alliances such as NATO, the potential for further collaboration with the EU, and the significance of dialogue and cooperation in addressing regional and global issues. As President Erdogan begins his extended rule, the support and well-wishes from these world leaders lay the foundation for continued engagement and cooperation between Turkey and the international community.